Versatility of Pasta
Spaghetti and red sauce is one of American's favorite family dishes. And for good reason! It is delicious and quick as well as easy to customize to suit a family's particular tastes by altering spices and ingredients. But pasta, with its many shapes and textures, can be included in so many more family meals.
With such versatility, an endless number of meal solutions exist.
- Cuisine: Of course there are many Italian dishes that can be created with pasta. Think past Italian and be inspired by Mexican, Asian, Greek, Cajun and other regional foods.
- Sauces: Tomato is the most popular, but other smooth cream, olive oil, butter or cheese sauces can be used or thicker, chunky sauces that include vegetables, meats or seafood to create a meal.
- Shapes: Short shapes are best for casseroles, salads, skillets or soups, and long shapes are the perfect nest to hold a favorite sauce.
- Lifestyle: Whether you have kids at home or not, practice a vegetarian or gluten free lifestyle, enjoy elaborate meals or just need quick meals to get on with your day, pasta can be a great meal choice.
- With approximately 200 calories per serving, pasta is a filling meal option
Pasta can be the foundation for creating a main dish or can be an alternative for a side. Pasta is also great for use in hot or cold dishes. Don't be afraid to experiment with pasta in your daily meal planning.
Here are some of our thoughts about the versatility of pasta:
- "I like to toss leftover chicken with whatever veggies I have on hand to make a quick and healthy pasta dinner." - Laura D.
- "Pasta is my go-to food. It's easy to make, and I have several different types of recipes that my family enjoy...not just Italian." - Lori G.
- "Cold salads are great for barbeques. My macaroni salad is always a big hit!" - Ellen B.
- "My kids love it when I use different shapes with my pasta dishes." - Anne F.
- "The best thing about pasta is that it reheats great for a second meal!" - Beckie B.
What is your favorite way to eat pasta?